Skip to main content

I love Jesus 8/25/13

So, this week, I was able to baptize one of my former investigators and see two other people be baptized. Baptisms are an awesome way for people to reaffirm their faith. I know this because it has helped to reaffirm mine. The covenant of baptism is one of the greatest manifestations of our faith. It is a promise to follow Jesus Christ.
 It is the gateway to the Celestial Kingdom.
One of the things I've been focusing on in my studies is the necessity of the Doctrine of Christ in applying the Atonement. Often when we teach the lessons, we teach them as individual units, somewhat disconnected, and our investigators don't really understand how each part comes together as a latticework of interdependent threads. Without one, the others have little effect. Each piece is important, and if we fail in some areas we may preclude ourselves from receiving the blessings of Eternal Life.
As many of you may know, Preach My Gospel mentions the importance of the Atonement as central to the Plan of Salvation. And many people understand the basic meaning of the Atonement, but it is the Doctrine of Christ that allows us to implement the Atonement in our lives.
Through Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End, we invite the savior into our lives and our hearts.
I've heard it stated often that we are not saved through our works, I've also heard it stated by some denominations of Christianity that we must only accept Jesus Christ as our Savior in order to be saved. While both of these contain some truth, they do not explain the commitment that is required for Salvation. If our works were not important in the sight of the Lord, he would not have taught us to do good. If we only had to accept and believe, Christ would not have expressed the importance of Baptism.
I'm out of time so I'll save the rest for another time but it's something to think about.
Elder Ryan

Popular posts from this blog

The happiest day so far this week! (9/16/13)

So this last week has been a week of overcoming, and I'm not ashamed to say that it hasn't been easy. I love my Heavenly Father, I love Jesus Christ, and I love the Holy Ghost. Without them, I would literally be nothing. I am not a perfect missionary, nor am I a perfect person, but I know through Christ's Atonement for us, I have received strength. Emails in the mission are always a plus. Letters are even better (but I don't expect people to waste money on postage).  At this time, I'd like to make a declaration of my faith. I don't really care if you don't agree, but it helps me to put it out there. I know that Jesus is the Christ; the anointed of God to come and cleanse us from our sins. I know that we have a loving Heavenly Father who knows us intimately, and we knew him before this life, and through a concerted effort, we can know him again. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know it, I know it, I know it! I know that Joseph Smith was a

I think I may have forgotten to write for a while... - 2/10/14

So, working in the mission office for the last few weeks has been an interesting experience. I've been able to use the skills that I've acquired from my previous work experience, and help out the mission in different ways. It's very interesting to see how the work in the mission field is affected by the decisions and things that happen through the mission office. When things run well in the mission office, things in the mission field are a lot more smooth in terms of operations. I have a lot of respect for all of the missionaries that serve in the mission offices worldwide, they do so much to make sure that we as missionaries have a pleasant mission experience. There is a lot of work that goes into flats, cars, supplies, transfers, zone conferences, visas, etc. I have a new respect. Much Love, Elder Ryan

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam!

One of the best ways I've found to get out of negativity, is to ignore it and move on to something more cheerful. Presently, it's the song, "Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam." It's such a simple song, without deep doctrinal content, but it brings such a spirit of peace to my mind. Sometimes that's what we need. A quite and peaceful distraction from the noise that's around us. Challenge for the week, look for quite moments to notice the beauty of God's creation. Sing a hymn or song that reminds you of your relationship with God. Read the Book of Mormon at least 5 minutes a day. You will find more enjoyment in life. :) Love, Elder Ryan