Skip to main content

What Should I Do?

...Continued from last post

Things at this point were very good. I was excited about my job, I loved what I was doing and I really thought this was the path that I was meant to be on. I was having fun living down in Orange County, I was working a lot, and playing a lot as well. I had a pretty full social calendar with my friends from the YSA ward (ask your LDS friends what this means) and I volunteered with the Irvine Korean Cultural Festival. By no means was I just passing time, or waiting for life to begin; Life had already begun. 

Around March of 2012, the rosy picture wasn't as rosy as I had originally perceived. Once again I began to feel unsatisfied in general. Ready to pack up at that point and try something different, I decided to pray. I wasn't fully committed to receiving an answer, but I prayed and was willing to listen. The answer that came wasn't really clear, but what I did know was that I needed to get out of debt and be qualified to go on a mission. (To be clear, I had not received any indication that I was to go on a mission as of yet, but I knew that certain things needed to be in place, and in order and felt that being prepared to serve a mission was a worthy benchmark of being on the right path.) So at that point, I made the decision to work toward the inspiration that I had received. I started focusing more on paying off debt and less on having fun, I started to emotionally detach from work. I still worked the best I could, but tried not to get really emotionally involved with what I was doing. I still felt uneasy about my situation in general, but I knew that I was on the right path.

After several months of just plodding along, I eventually started to feel unusually anxious, some things had happened that had really impacted my sense of spiritual well-being, and I knew it was time for a change. 

[Looking back on that time, I can see now that God had let me have my fun, but was preparing me to receive direction from Him in a way that, not only I would understand, but that I would also listen and follow when it came.]

Right around August, I was working toward the goal of attending the temple regularly for Baptisms for the Dead (Baptisms for the Dead - lds.org) in order to be able to feel closer to God by visiting His house. I had made plans to go on a Thursday morning with a really good friend. The plan was to go early so I could still make it to work on time. As I prepared to go, I realized that I had lost my wallet which had my temple recommend in it (Purpose of Temples - Mormon.org). Without my recommend, I was unable to go to the temple. Having been anticipating this trip, and having had a really strong conviction that I was meant to go to the temple that morning, I started to freak out a little. I wanted the guidance and revelation that comes from attending the temple, and in my soul I felt that I NEEDED it! I searched my room and my car frantically, looking for my wallet, which couldn't have been anywhere else. After about an hour of searching, I sent a text to my bishop trying to explain my situation (it was probably several texts), knowing that it was highly unreasonable to expect to get an appointment on short notice, I very presumptuously asked if he could meet that morning so I could get an interview with him to get another recommend ASAP. Being, in all probability, the best bishop ever, he agreed to meet with me at 9:20 and I had my good friend drive me over to the chapel to meet with him. At this point I was already late for work and, on the way to the chapel, I called in to work to let them know I would be a few hours late that morning.

I went in for the interview and got the recommend, and my friend and I went to the temple. Feeling gratified and still a bit stressed I had the attitude of "bring on the revelation, hoorah!" As can be expected, it wasn't that easy. As I entered the temple, my mind went completely blank. The longer I was there, the more and more blank it became. To the point of not even really being able to remember why I was there in the first place. I felt tense, unsatisfied, and probably not very Christ-like. Once I realized that it was hopeless to fight whatever force it was that was frustrating what 'I wanted', I started to focus on being present for what it was that I was doing. The feelings didn't really get better, but I was trying to serve in a giving, loving way, despite my sour attitude. As I was changing into my street clothes, I remember just a feeling of being completely dejected. I was so confident that I was going to get what I wanted and what I came there for (which at that point, I still couldn't remember what that was) and was ready to just get on with my day. This wasn't really the calm, spiritually uplifting experience that I was hoping for, but little did I know that what was to come next would turn my life completely around.

I walked out of the doors of the Newport Beach Temple, ready to go and for it all to be over. As the door clicked shut behind me, I heard a voice, a calm yet powerful voice, that said "Quit your job, and go on a mission."

To be continued...

Popular posts from this blog

The happiest day so far this week! (9/16/13)

So this last week has been a week of overcoming, and I'm not ashamed to say that it hasn't been easy. I love my Heavenly Father, I love Jesus Christ, and I love the Holy Ghost. Without them, I would literally be nothing. I am not a perfect missionary, nor am I a perfect person, but I know through Christ's Atonement for us, I have received strength. Emails in the mission are always a plus. Letters are even better (but I don't expect people to waste money on postage).  At this time, I'd like to make a declaration of my faith. I don't really care if you don't agree, but it helps me to put it out there. I know that Jesus is the Christ; the anointed of God to come and cleanse us from our sins. I know that we have a loving Heavenly Father who knows us intimately, and we knew him before this life, and through a concerted effort, we can know him again. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know it, I know it, I know it! I know that Joseph Smith was a

I think I may have forgotten to write for a while... - 2/10/14

So, working in the mission office for the last few weeks has been an interesting experience. I've been able to use the skills that I've acquired from my previous work experience, and help out the mission in different ways. It's very interesting to see how the work in the mission field is affected by the decisions and things that happen through the mission office. When things run well in the mission office, things in the mission field are a lot more smooth in terms of operations. I have a lot of respect for all of the missionaries that serve in the mission offices worldwide, they do so much to make sure that we as missionaries have a pleasant mission experience. There is a lot of work that goes into flats, cars, supplies, transfers, zone conferences, visas, etc. I have a new respect. Much Love, Elder Ryan

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam!

One of the best ways I've found to get out of negativity, is to ignore it and move on to something more cheerful. Presently, it's the song, "Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam." It's such a simple song, without deep doctrinal content, but it brings such a spirit of peace to my mind. Sometimes that's what we need. A quite and peaceful distraction from the noise that's around us. Challenge for the week, look for quite moments to notice the beauty of God's creation. Sing a hymn or song that reminds you of your relationship with God. Read the Book of Mormon at least 5 minutes a day. You will find more enjoyment in life. :) Love, Elder Ryan