Skip to main content

MTC

Once again, writing sometimes seems to be the hardest thing to do...

I entered the MTC on March 20th, 2013. I went through the entry process, got my badge, dropped off my luggage, and was dropped in the classroom where a wonderful and smiling teacher greeted me but would only speak to me in a secret code that only she could understand (turns out it was Vietnamese). I had to go do some things on a computer, then I was sent for an orientation and officially met my companion. I specifically remember feeling really awkward, but not a normal awkward where I smile and act cool, then when I get some alone time I run away and cry to myself; this was an awkward where I knew that "alone time" would never come (unless you count sleep). That day, I was in so much of a haze that as I think back on the memories, I can't remember much other than the sequence of events, and how I felt. I was traumatized and scared, I felt inadequate, and strangely unworthy because I didn't feel prepared. It turns out, I wasn't alone in my feelings. It seemed that mostly everyone else felt the same way.

The first three days for me were by far the hardest. If you know me, I only follow the rules because I choose to. When I don't want to, I can be very obstinate and cranky. I'm sure I probably annoyed everyone around me as I experienced withdrawals from modern music, facebook, my cell phone, my car and freedom. I felt that I was in a prison that I willingly entered and committed myself to. These feelings quickly passed, and once I accepted the fact that I wanted to be there, that I had chosen to be there, and that I was willing to do whatever it took to make it happen, it got easier. After the first week, I came to really enjoy it.

The next 8 weeks would be the same routine of study, exercise, eating, etc. I would come to become comfortable with the people around me, and over time would come to love each and every person that was around me and experiencing it with me.

 *Side note: My companion was AMAZING!!! I mean, things weren't always perfect, but we worked through issues when they came up, and he was infinitely patient with my insecurities. In all honesty, without his encouragement, and his example of diligence, I would not have made it through those first three days.

In my 10 weeks at the MTC (9 weeks planned, and an extra week while I waited for my visa) I grew my testimony in the Savior, I learned about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and I was more prepared to be a missionary; a representative of Jesus Christ.




Popular posts from this blog

The happiest day so far this week! (9/16/13)

So this last week has been a week of overcoming, and I'm not ashamed to say that it hasn't been easy. I love my Heavenly Father, I love Jesus Christ, and I love the Holy Ghost. Without them, I would literally be nothing. I am not a perfect missionary, nor am I a perfect person, but I know through Christ's Atonement for us, I have received strength. Emails in the mission are always a plus. Letters are even better (but I don't expect people to waste money on postage).  At this time, I'd like to make a declaration of my faith. I don't really care if you don't agree, but it helps me to put it out there. I know that Jesus is the Christ; the anointed of God to come and cleanse us from our sins. I know that we have a loving Heavenly Father who knows us intimately, and we knew him before this life, and through a concerted effort, we can know him again. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know it, I know it, I know it! I know that Joseph Smith was a

I think I may have forgotten to write for a while... - 2/10/14

So, working in the mission office for the last few weeks has been an interesting experience. I've been able to use the skills that I've acquired from my previous work experience, and help out the mission in different ways. It's very interesting to see how the work in the mission field is affected by the decisions and things that happen through the mission office. When things run well in the mission office, things in the mission field are a lot more smooth in terms of operations. I have a lot of respect for all of the missionaries that serve in the mission offices worldwide, they do so much to make sure that we as missionaries have a pleasant mission experience. There is a lot of work that goes into flats, cars, supplies, transfers, zone conferences, visas, etc. I have a new respect. Much Love, Elder Ryan

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam!

One of the best ways I've found to get out of negativity, is to ignore it and move on to something more cheerful. Presently, it's the song, "Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam." It's such a simple song, without deep doctrinal content, but it brings such a spirit of peace to my mind. Sometimes that's what we need. A quite and peaceful distraction from the noise that's around us. Challenge for the week, look for quite moments to notice the beauty of God's creation. Sing a hymn or song that reminds you of your relationship with God. Read the Book of Mormon at least 5 minutes a day. You will find more enjoyment in life. :) Love, Elder Ryan