Skip to main content

MTC

Once again, writing sometimes seems to be the hardest thing to do...

I entered the MTC on March 20th, 2013. I went through the entry process, got my badge, dropped off my luggage, and was dropped in the classroom where a wonderful and smiling teacher greeted me but would only speak to me in a secret code that only she could understand (turns out it was Vietnamese). I had to go do some things on a computer, then I was sent for an orientation and officially met my companion. I specifically remember feeling really awkward, but not a normal awkward where I smile and act cool, then when I get some alone time I run away and cry to myself; this was an awkward where I knew that "alone time" would never come (unless you count sleep). That day, I was in so much of a haze that as I think back on the memories, I can't remember much other than the sequence of events, and how I felt. I was traumatized and scared, I felt inadequate, and strangely unworthy because I didn't feel prepared. It turns out, I wasn't alone in my feelings. It seemed that mostly everyone else felt the same way.

The first three days for me were by far the hardest. If you know me, I only follow the rules because I choose to. When I don't want to, I can be very obstinate and cranky. I'm sure I probably annoyed everyone around me as I experienced withdrawals from modern music, facebook, my cell phone, my car and freedom. I felt that I was in a prison that I willingly entered and committed myself to. These feelings quickly passed, and once I accepted the fact that I wanted to be there, that I had chosen to be there, and that I was willing to do whatever it took to make it happen, it got easier. After the first week, I came to really enjoy it.

The next 8 weeks would be the same routine of study, exercise, eating, etc. I would come to become comfortable with the people around me, and over time would come to love each and every person that was around me and experiencing it with me.

 *Side note: My companion was AMAZING!!! I mean, things weren't always perfect, but we worked through issues when they came up, and he was infinitely patient with my insecurities. In all honesty, without his encouragement, and his example of diligence, I would not have made it through those first three days.

In my 10 weeks at the MTC (9 weeks planned, and an extra week while I waited for my visa) I grew my testimony in the Savior, I learned about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and I was more prepared to be a missionary; a representative of Jesus Christ.




Popular posts from this blog

start of week 8 (i know its a week late) :)

Today is the first day of Week eight, and my oh my, has week seven been eventful. With the awesome Mission Conference, amazing devotionals on Sunday and  Tuesday , and a super awesome surprise that I'll tell you all later.   So, for the gospel topic of the week, it's a continuation on the Atonement.   In Moses  6:59 -60 it states: 59 That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the  a spirit , which I have made, and so became of  b dust  a living soul, even so ye must be  c born again  into the kingdom of heaven, of  d water , and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and  e enjoy  the  f words  of  g eternal life  in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal  h glory ; 60 For b...

First full week in AUS

Hello Everybody! So I have officially survived a full week in Australia! My Vietnamese is still pretty terrible. I mostly just sit quietly in lessons and smile. (like this ^_^) and nod. We work with a lot of University students from Vietnam. So retention can be difficult, but the members are super solid! We have some amazing members currently, and there is a lot of great things happening. I've heard that there was a super big announcement in the broadcast, but as of yet, I don't know what it is... I haven't seen it yet. I can't wait to find out though. I've seen a lot of opposition here, and ultimately every objection I've heard can be directly answered in the bible, supported by the Book of Mormon. But people have their agency and the right to find out for themselves. There is a huge difference between here and the Bronx. In the Bronx, people respected the missionaries and would keep their ill mannered thoughts to themselves. Here people speak them openly, even...

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam!

One of the best ways I've found to get out of negativity, is to ignore it and move on to something more cheerful. Presently, it's the song, "Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam." It's such a simple song, without deep doctrinal content, but it brings such a spirit of peace to my mind. Sometimes that's what we need. A quite and peaceful distraction from the noise that's around us. Challenge for the week, look for quite moments to notice the beauty of God's creation. Sing a hymn or song that reminds you of your relationship with God. Read the Book of Mormon at least 5 minutes a day. You will find more enjoyment in life. :) Love, Elder Ryan