Skip to main content

End of week 5


I JUST PASSED HALF WAY DAY!!!
 
The MTC is a magical land where you never hear anything from the outside world. I've heard rumors that there was some form of bomb at the Boston Marathon, but know nothing of the incident. When I came into the MTC there was tension in the Euro-Zone because f Cypress, there were issues of Marriage Rights preparing to come before the Supreme Court. I have no idea how any of these things have progressed, just as for most of you, I don't get to share in the joys and pains that you're going through. Even though I'm not there, and can't follow your Facebook or twitter, please know that I do care. I love and miss you all.
 
 There are a lot of things that you have to give up when you leave on your mission. The hardest thing for me has been listening to music. Prior to coming into the MTC, I listend to music like 80% of my waking hours. Now, when I get the chance to listen to music, it's only music from General Conference because it's on LDS.org, and those opportunities are exceedingly rare. Even though I don't get to have the constant companionship of my iPhone and the plethora of music that it held, I get the constant companionship of the Spirit of God. I think that's pretty cool too. On the subject of music, on Sunday, the BYU Men's Chorus performed for the devotional. It was amazing. I didn't have the best seat, but when I closed my eyes and listened for the polyphony of a live choir, it was magical.
 
Last Tuesday, for the devtional we had an extra special guest speaker. Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles addressed us; it changed my perspective on prayer. His message was simple, pray often, take the time to pray, pray with gratitude, pray with sincerity. There are so many influences in our lives, there are so many times when we let the world influence our thoughts, actions and emotions. I would like to encourage you all to let our Heavenly Father be one of those influences. He loves you, He cares about you individually, He created a plan for eternal happiness specially for you. If you want to grow closer to Him, talk to him, ask for opportunities to increase your faith.
 
Now I know there may be some of you who read this that don't share my faith; for you, I would like to encourage you to try and do a small act of kindness every day. I want to challenge everyone to make a specific effort to do one nice thing you normally wouldn't do every day this week. If you take my challenge, please write me a quick email and let me know how it went. I can promise that it will increase your love for those around you. It will create opportunities for you to build better relationships and make new or stronger friends.
 
With all my love,
An Uncommon Elder
 
Elder Timothy Scott Ryan

Popular posts from this blog

The happiest day so far this week! (9/16/13)

So this last week has been a week of overcoming, and I'm not ashamed to say that it hasn't been easy. I love my Heavenly Father, I love Jesus Christ, and I love the Holy Ghost. Without them, I would literally be nothing. I am not a perfect missionary, nor am I a perfect person, but I know through Christ's Atonement for us, I have received strength. Emails in the mission are always a plus. Letters are even better (but I don't expect people to waste money on postage).  At this time, I'd like to make a declaration of my faith. I don't really care if you don't agree, but it helps me to put it out there. I know that Jesus is the Christ; the anointed of God to come and cleanse us from our sins. I know that we have a loving Heavenly Father who knows us intimately, and we knew him before this life, and through a concerted effort, we can know him again. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know it, I know it, I know it! I know that Joseph Smith was a

I think I may have forgotten to write for a while... - 2/10/14

So, working in the mission office for the last few weeks has been an interesting experience. I've been able to use the skills that I've acquired from my previous work experience, and help out the mission in different ways. It's very interesting to see how the work in the mission field is affected by the decisions and things that happen through the mission office. When things run well in the mission office, things in the mission field are a lot more smooth in terms of operations. I have a lot of respect for all of the missionaries that serve in the mission offices worldwide, they do so much to make sure that we as missionaries have a pleasant mission experience. There is a lot of work that goes into flats, cars, supplies, transfers, zone conferences, visas, etc. I have a new respect. Much Love, Elder Ryan

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam!

One of the best ways I've found to get out of negativity, is to ignore it and move on to something more cheerful. Presently, it's the song, "Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam." It's such a simple song, without deep doctrinal content, but it brings such a spirit of peace to my mind. Sometimes that's what we need. A quite and peaceful distraction from the noise that's around us. Challenge for the week, look for quite moments to notice the beauty of God's creation. Sing a hymn or song that reminds you of your relationship with God. Read the Book of Mormon at least 5 minutes a day. You will find more enjoyment in life. :) Love, Elder Ryan