Skip to main content

Week 4!!!


Week 4!!! I'm slowly approaching the halfway mark of my 9 week stay at the MTC. The atmosphere here is definitely different. My companion is awesome, but has asked that I don't use his name online. There has been a lot going on. Over the last week, we've had one person leave to San Jose, California, Another person came and left for Cambodia  and now we're sending off another roommate tomorrow to Fresno, CA, Hmong speaking. I don't speak or understand Hmong, but I'm pretty sure it's harder than Vietnamese. As all of the people I've become familiar with are leaving, I have a feeling these next two weeks are going to be stressful as I prepare to engage with new people.
 
The devotionals are still one of my favorite things here at the MTC. This last Sunday, an Acapella group from BYU came and performed  They are called "Vocal Point" if you've never heard them or heard of them, look them up, stream it off the internet, and if you want, see if they have an album. As much as I enjoy hearing from Leaders of the Church, this devotional really touched my heart. All of the vocalists were returned missionaries and several of them bore their testimonies. The sincerity is hard to match. For those who didn't have the opportunity to bear their testimonies in word, definitely did so in song. The most exciting piece, was an arrangement of "Come, Come, Ye Saints" and a Zulu spiritual "Noyana" (I think that's what it was called anyway). It was fun, upbeat, and testified of coming closer to the savior. The most touching was an arrangement of "I Need Thee Every Hour." The main vocalist was so sincere in his words and tone, I felt his testimony pierce my heart. I cried. I felt it through my whole body. At that moment, and since I have a stronger conviction that the Savior loves us, and we need him. We need his grace and mercy to heal our hearts; To calm the seas in the tempest; to bring peace to an otherwise hectic and unbearable world. I'm so grateful for His redeeming love; for his sacrifice for sin.
 
While I know we are not all perfect, I do know that we are all capable of following the example of Jesus Christ. As we go throughout our day, show compassion to those around you. Turn outward when we are in distress, and show genuine love and concern for those who may be experiencing hard times as well. Through selfless acts, we become more like the Savior.
 
I am a Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have been commissioned of Christ to go forth unto the world and proclaim that He lives! He Lives! He Lives! He Lives! He died for all of our sins, he felt our anguish and our pain, he provided a way by which we can be clean through his own blood, and all we need to do is accept his invitation of "come follow me." 
 
There is a friend of mine I wish to address directly,
 
Nidia,
 
Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer, he died for our sins and cleansed us from the evils of the world. He provided the great atoning sacrifice so that we can be clean. Even though you have created a division in your heart, by dilligently studying the words of Christ and the words of prophets, called by God, as included in the Bible, The Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Convenants, and yes, even the Pearl of Great Price, your heart can be healed. God restored his true church on the Earth today through a young man who in 1820 prayed to our Heavenly Father to know which church was right. Facing great religious persecution, he followed the commission given of him by God, to restore the truth once again to the world. Through him, our Heavenly Father restored his authority to direct the affairs of Christ's Church, he reinstituted the the authority for Baptism, a covenant that we take upon ourselves to become a follower of Christ. He instituted once more, Eternal Marriage. I know this to be true, I not only have a testimony of it, I KNOW IT!
 
Mormonism is not about performing duties, it is about changing your heart to be aligned with Christ. Turning yourself toward God and acting selflessy in the service of others. About enduring to the end through trials of our faith. While works do not provide salvation, they are a commandment of Christ. If we truly want to be a follower of Christ, we must excercise our faith. We must be always abounding in good works, we need to keep ourselves clean from the sins of the world and strive to be like Jesus, unspotted before our Heavenly Father. But we will not always be perfect. We will sin, we will defile our bodies and withdraw ourselves from the consant companionship of the Holy Spirit that we recieved through Baptism and Confirmation by those in Authority. We are not perfect, nor can we achieve perfection in this life, but we can repent. We can become clean again and draw closer, once again, to our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. We can forsake our sins, and become clean again. I implore you now, and anyone else who is reading this, to study the scripture, to align yourself with Christ, to forget yourself and serve others. While all of these things are good, the most important thing after you have done all of these things is to ENDURE TO THE END! Everything I have written is directly supported through holy scripture, I'm not a scriptorian, nor do I wish to direct your studies. What I invite you to do is to read the scriptures with a prayer in your heart, and a question in your mind. As you have a sincere desire to learn, the spirit will direct your studies to confirm to you the truth of what you have read and will write on your heart the impressions and knowledge of His everlasting gospel.
 
At this time, I would like to speak a little bit of the Holy Spirit, the second comforter promised by our Savior. Everyone is entitled to recieving a witness through the Holy Ghost, and when they ask sincerely it will touch their hearts. But the constant, enduring, unending companionship of the Holy Ghost comes only through the figurative baptism by fire -- through the laying on of hands by those who hold and honor the authority and power of God -- and through enduring to the end and following Christ in all ways, at all times, and in all places. This is a promise of our Heavenly Father.

 I hope all is well. Please feel free to write me with any comments or just tell me how you're doing. I love you all, I miss you, and I wish the best for you.
 
An Uncommon Elder
 
Elder Timothy Scott Ryan
4/9/2013

Popular posts from this blog

First full week in AUS

Hello Everybody! So I have officially survived a full week in Australia! My Vietnamese is still pretty terrible. I mostly just sit quietly in lessons and smile. (like this ^_^) and nod. We work with a lot of University students from Vietnam. So retention can be difficult, but the members are super solid! We have some amazing members currently, and there is a lot of great things happening. I've heard that there was a super big announcement in the broadcast, but as of yet, I don't know what it is... I haven't seen it yet. I can't wait to find out though. I've seen a lot of opposition here, and ultimately every objection I've heard can be directly answered in the bible, supported by the Book of Mormon. But people have their agency and the right to find out for themselves. There is a huge difference between here and the Bronx. In the Bronx, people respected the missionaries and would keep their ill mannered thoughts to themselves. Here people speak them openly, even...

start of week 8 (i know its a week late) :)

Today is the first day of Week eight, and my oh my, has week seven been eventful. With the awesome Mission Conference, amazing devotionals on Sunday and  Tuesday , and a super awesome surprise that I'll tell you all later.   So, for the gospel topic of the week, it's a continuation on the Atonement.   In Moses  6:59 -60 it states: 59 That by reason of transgression cometh the fall, which fall bringeth death, and inasmuch as ye were born into the world by water, and blood, and the  a spirit , which I have made, and so became of  b dust  a living soul, even so ye must be  c born again  into the kingdom of heaven, of  d water , and of the Spirit, and be cleansed by blood, even the blood of mine Only Begotten; that ye might be sanctified from all sin, and  e enjoy  the  f words  of  g eternal life  in this world, and eternal life in the world to come, even immortal  h glory ; 60 For b...

Birthdays, Sundays and Fun days

So, I am officially 22. The mission has just gotten a lot different. The Vietnamese program is growing and I'm feeling pretty reminiscent.  This past week, the Vietnamese program in Melbourne went from 4 elders to 9, with another coming in September. 4 came fresh from the MTC, and 1 is finishing his mission here (he was trained with a Vietnamese elder, and was quasi in the program for 6 months of his mission). Oddly enough, I'm not training. I have been placed with one of the Zone Leaders, but am not a ZL. My area has changed from Footscray to North Richmond, and I have a lot of work ahead of me. So, the baptism that was supposed to happen a week and a half ago is now happening on Friday. I may no longer be her missionary, but she has asked that I perform the baptism! WHOO YEAH! Another of my old investigators is also being baptized on the same day, and at the same time. He is awesome and I'm so grateful to have been a part in bringing them closer to Christ. From th...